So a few albums dropped after I submitted my 2014 top 10 list to Philadelphia City Paper (the deadline was 11/30/14).
This year I found my way back to musical geekery through my hip-hop roots and while I still consider myself an equal opportunity listener, I won’t be bumping Taylor Swift, Pharrell or other pop sensations some “critics” rated highly in 2014, any time soon.
Here’s a redux of my top albums of 2014 (with musical accompaniment), now that those lists are dropping faster than the U.S. Justice System’s credibility.
10. Apollo Brown & Ras Kass, Blasphemy, Mello Music Group
9. Beres Hammond, One Life To Live, Flava McGregor
8. L’Orange, Orchid Days, Mello Music Group
7. Black Milk, If There’s Hell Below, Computer Ugly
6. Badbadnotgood, III, Innovative Leisure
5. Roc Marciano, Marci Beaucoup, Man Bites Dog
4. Apollo Brown, .38, Mello Music Group
3. D’Angelo, Black Messiah, RCA
2. Prhyme, Prhyme, Prhyme Records
1. Freddie Gibbs & Madlib, Pinata, Stones Throw
Pete Rock & Nas, Time Is Illmatic (Mixtape), Self-Released
Blue Sky Black Death, Euphoric III, Self-Released
Damon Albarn, Everyday Robots, Parlophone
Sylvan Esso, Sylvan Esso, Partisan
Vacationer, Relief, Downtown
Diamond District, March On Washington, Mello Music Group
Step Brothers, Lord Steppington, Rhymesayers
Dilated Peoples, Directors Of Photography, Rhymesayers